Saturday, January 2, 2010

My Friend's Kids

There is something spectacular about our own children.  I love them.  I love how I can't live without them and they drive me insane almost simaltaniously. They complete me.

But the strange phenomona that I am thinking about today is how much I love other people's kids.  More specifically, my friend's kids.  You know the ones.... you are the emergency contact at school... your friend is out of pocket and you get the call to pick up her kid who is barfing in the nurses office.  You drop what you are doing, grab a trash can and head to the school to take home the little vomit machine....who of course, throws up in your car on the way to your house completly missing most of the stratigically placed trash can.  Funny thing is, you don't care.  You just get them to your house, grab the fuzzy blankie, a pillow, a bigger trash can,  sprite, saltine crackers and put on their favorite movie and offer soft kiss to their forhead.  It is the darnest thing.  It is like they are your own kid.




Through the years I have had my fair share of "extra" children.  Some come and go, and some could eat Thanksgiving Dinner with us and no one would actually remember they are not birth members of the family.   I guess it is my turn to return the favor for all the homes that took me in as a stray, and for all the "Mommies" who were in my life, and who still are. 

As the "extra kids" get older, (and mostly stopped barfing at my house) they still hang around.  I get fun text messages from them,  I watch their ball games and dance recitals, I go to concerts and plays, and I know what they are up to.  They know I love them.  I have watched them graduate, go to college, get a job, get married and start having their own little familes.  It is the most wonderful circle of life to see the kid who you wondered if he would make it past 12 years old as a wonderful, loving Daddy.  And it is even more amazing to have his cute children call me "Grandma Carrie." 

So today I am grateful for every friend who has allowed her children to be a part of my life....And to my kids' friends who are turning into amazing adults.  Today I hope each one of you stops and thinks about that kid of your friend who you love and consider one of your own.  Let them know they are awesome.  Let them know they have you always there for them.  Let them know how much they have blessed your life....Funny how we really all do make a difference, one random woman at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment