Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Grandma Knows "Some Stuff"

Recent conversation between my daughter, Erin, and my awesome grandson, Bodie.

Bodie says to Erin the other morning while on his way to school in the morning."Mom, do you know right now it is dark in China?" Erin replies that she does, indeed, know that it is dark in China while he is on his way to school in the morning.  He says to her, "You know how I know that?" "No, Bodie," Erin says...."How do you know that?" "Because Grandma told me."  He says. "You should listen to Grandma, she knows lots of stuff."
It has taken years for me to receive any acknowledgment that I, indeed, "know some stuff."  

Now, perhaps, impressing a seven year old with the knowledge that while it is daytime in Longmont, Colorado, it is evening on the other side of the world is not that big of a deal.    I did not share with him how a Russian scientist named Dmitrii Mendeleev came up with the periodic table of elements after asking a few questions. But that does not matter.


Grandma is around to answer such burning questions like:  
What's in a twinkie? 
Where do bees go in the winter?  
What would chairs look like if our legs bent the other way?

 
Why does Diet Coke and Mentos create explosions? 
 Will my head REALLY cave in if I pick my nose? (Which I hope he believes LONG into adulthood....) 

I walk a little taller today...because I "know some stuff."  That stuff was enough to impress a seven year old into sharing that information with his mother....(where was this kid years ago? When I was trying to convince his mother I knew some stuff.....????)  Mark Twain said it best: 
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.  But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.  ~Mark Twain, "Old Times on the Mississippi" Atlantic Monthly, 1874

Isn't true?  So glad I have gotten the opportunity to get a little smarter in the few years since raising his mom....Aren't we all getting smarter, day by day....just one random woman at a time?

No comments:

Post a Comment