Saturday, November 6, 2010

Thankful for those who care!

TJ Adams #6 for the Silver Creek Raptors
Yesterday  got some bad news regarding my senior son TJ.  He has a torn ACL and MCL and will require surgery.   This ends a great season as a wide receiver and tight end for the Silver Creek High School Raptors and takes TJ out of his senior season playing basketball.  As you can imagine this was tough news to take.  Surgery is scheduled for later this month.  

The funny thing about getting bad news, you find yourself surrounded by those who love you and support you.  This never ceases to amaze me!  Just when you feel at your lowest and struggle to find your way, people come out of the woodwork to assist.  Isn't this a  great thing??  When we show love to our fellowman, we show love for our Savior.  This is the path that we have been shown. 

Years ago, in an LDS General Conference Rex D. Pinegar shared a great message on  love.

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=32a1d0640b96b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

This message is as valuable today as it was in 1978.  Yesterday, as we shared the news friends came out to share love, hugs, and words of encouragement to us.  I even called old friend Raegan Scott Pebley, who is the head women's basketball coach for the Utah State Aggies to ask her advice.  She walked me off the ledge and gave me hope and peace that things happen for a purpose and that we are all here to learn and grow.

What am I thankful for?  How can I not be grateful for the outpouring of love, support and prayers for my son?  How can I not appreciate all the prayers offered on his behalf?  How can I not be reminded to  help another every chance I can?  The words of consolation don't take away the sadness from my son, but the words offer hope to prepare for  the future, and to be ready to take on anything that comes his way.  The words of love and support help me remember that my Savior Jesus Christ loves each one of us, knows our trials and our sorrows and finds ways to comfort us with the other travelers on this journey.  

Make that phone call to a friend today that keeps popping into your head.  Stop what you are doing and hold the door for the frazzled person racing into the store. Smile. Take a few seconds to think of the trials that others carry, and see what you can do to make a difference- then DO IT!   We all can make a difference, one random person at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment